Empower all students to act with integrity and to achieve excellence through rigorous college and career pathways.
Millikan small learning communities promote academic excellence, personal integrity and 21st Century skills through relevant, rigorous learning environments that provide integrated college and career pathways.
Millikan POWER Standards
Expected Schoolwide Learner Outcomes
Upon graduation Millikan High School graduates will be:
Problem Solvers who:
- Demonstrate intellectual curiosity and independent learning.
- Engage in high-level critical thinking and reasoning, to think creatively, make decisions and solve problems.
- Utilize technology appropriately to gain information and solve problems.
- Possess math, logic and reasoning skills and are able to apply those skills in a variety of contexts.
- Demonstrate practical application of knowledge and reasoning through service learning and work-based learning experiences.
Organized Workers who:
- Work collaboratively to achieve a common goal.
- Work productively as team members and leaders of a local and global society.
- Demonstrate the essential knowledge and skills of self-management and effective work habits.
Workplace Professionals who:
- Read, write, speak, listen and respond thoughtfully.
- Utilize technology appropriately for communication.
- Assess personal strengths, interests, and needs; they will develop a plan for high school and a vision for the future; and develop the skills necessary to meet those goals.
- Demonstrate career knowledge and job acquisition skills.
- Attend school regularly and on time.
Ethical Decision Makers who:
- Act honestly, ethically, and responsibly toward themselves and others.
- Do not cheat on academic tasks or assist others in academic dishonesty.
- Adopt and value ethical principles and attitudes (i.e. honesty, integrity, responsibility, compassion) and apply them in their daily lives.
Responsible Citizens who:
- Set, achieve, and evaluate goals, making themselves personally responsible for their learning.
- Show respect for self and others.
- Celebrate cultural diversity.
- Value and practice community service.
MILLIKAN HIGH SCHOOL UNIFORM DRESS CODE: 2016-2017
The Long Beach Unified School District requires all students who choose to attend Millikan High School to wear a uniform. All student attire including footwear must adhere to LBUSD standards. Students must agree, in writing, to conform to the standards described below.
School IDs must be carried at all times while on campus and available to view on request.
- All visible clothing must be adhere to Millikan’s Uniform Dress Code Policy.
- Clothing must be size appropriate (baggy clothing is not permitted).
- Non-Millikan logos on shirts, outerwear, bottoms, and head gear should be smaller than 2 inches in size.
Bottoms (Pants, Shorts, or Skirts) must be SOLID navy blue or SOLID khaki.
- Shorts and skirts must be longer than the reach of the student’s thumb.
- Seamless leggings, tights, and stockings must be SOLID navy blue or SOLID white and only worn under appropriate bottoms.
Shirts (polo or button up) must be COLLARED and SOLID navy blue, SOLID gold, or SOLID white in color.
- Approved Millikan T-shirts are available for purchase and may be worn in place of a collared shirt.
- Plain T-shirts are not permitted at any time.
- Bare midriffs are not permitted at any time.
- Undergarments including tank tops may not be visible.
Dresses Must have SLEEVES and are acceptable if they are SOLID navy blue, SOLID gold, SOLID white, or SOLID khaki in color.
- Tank style dresses are NOT permitted.
Outerwear (Sweatshirts, sweaters, coats, or jackets) must be SOLID navy blue, SOLID gold, SOLID white, or SOLID khaki in color.
- Approved Millikan sweatshirts are available for purchase and are recommended.
- If outerwear is worn underneath an approved Millikan uniform shirt, it must be SOLID navy blue, SOLID gold, SOLID white, or SOLID khaki in color.
- Hoods may not be worn while inside classrooms.
Head Gear (hats and beanies) must be SOLID navy blue, SOLID gold, SOLID white, or SOLID khaki. Approved Millikan hats are allowed.
- Tears, holes, patches, slits in the seams, and ragged hems in clothes and shoes are not permitted.
- Chains, badges, patches, spiked accessories, and initialed belt buckles are not permitted.
- Gang-related writing on body, backpacks, shoes, or clothing is not permitted.
- Wave caps, bandanas, hairnets, and combs in the hair are not permitted