Our goal is to provide Millikan High School students with a sound academic foundation that will provide them for success in their post-secondary years. Regular and punctual attendance is essential for this to occur. Students are expected to have good attendance and to be to class on time unless they have a valid excuse. The state of California has determined that excused absences are limited to the following:
- Funeral of immediate family member
(may include any relative residing with the pupil. *1 day in state, *3 days out-of-state)
- Court Appearance / Jury duty
- Doctor/dentist appointment (must bring note from provider)
- Exclusion for required immunizations
- Religious holiday/activity
- School sponsored events
- School suspension
Unexcused Absences (This is not an all-inclusive list):
- No absence verification/note (UNV)
- Family emergency
***Teachers are not required to provide make-up work for unexcused absences.
Students who arrive to school late must go to OCS for the period. There are only two exceptions to this rule:
- Students who arrive less than 20 minutes late (8:10 a.m.) during the first period of the day may enter class with a parent/guardian note if the student has not exceeded three tardy notes in one semester.
- Students with an official doctor, dentist or court slip may go to the attendance office and a pass will be issued.
Students who need to leave campus during the day are required to bring a signed note from a parent/guardian with a contact number to obtain an early-out permit slip. Notes must be taken to the office before school. The attendance clerks will call parents/guardians to confirm the signature on the early-out permit.
In order to clear an absence students must take their notes to the attendance office.
In order to expedite the readmission process and ensure accurate recordkeeping please include the following information on all notes:
- ID #
- Student’s full name and grade
- Reason for absence
- Date of absence
- Parent/guardian’s name (printed and signature)
- Parent contact number
STEPS FOR CLEARING QUESTIONABLE ABSENCES
- Go to ParentVue and look under attendance on the left hand column.
- Discuss any questionable absences with your student.
- Have your student speak with his/her teacher about any questionable absences.
- If the teacher agrees that there was an error, the teacher submit a correction form to the attendance office. This will allow the attendance clerks to remove the questionable absence.
- If the teacher does not agree, the absence will remain
- After completing steps 1-3, if there are still discrepancies you should personally contact the attendance office. Sue McNeely is the attendance clerk for students whose last names begin with A-L. Ms. McNeely may be reached at (562) 425-7441 ext. 4545. Laurel Elliot is the attendance clerk for students whose last names begin with M-Z. Ms. Elliot may be reached at (562) 425-7441 ext. 4112.
Long Beach Unified School District sends home monthly truancy letters to parents of students at every school in the district to inform them when their students have been absent, late, or have left early from school without a valid excuse on three occasions of 30 minutes or more in a school day. If you receive a letter please review it with your student. After reviewing the letter, if you believe it may be a school error please follow the STEPS FOR CLEARING DISPUTABLE ABSENCES. Please do not become alarmed unless your student has an excessive amount of absences. The main purpose of this letter is to keep you informed and make sure that your student is taking advantage of every day of education being offered.
The Teleparent is an automated system that calls home when a student has been marked absent. If you receive a call that your student is absent from school and you know he/she is present you should follow the above steps for disputed absence. However, if you are aware of your student’s absence, simply send a note with the student upon his/her return. There is no need to call the office.
When a student misses a class for a school activity the teacher is required to mark the student absent and a call will go out that evening. All school activities will be cleared by the attendance office within one week.